There are many older homes in the Capital Region. Many with older wiring and outdated electrical panels. Many people put off upgrading because of the extensive cost and time investment required. The thing is, at some point, these systems need to be ugpraded. According to the US Fire Admin, about 6% of all fires in homes across the country can be attributed to faulty wiring or short circuiting.
Here are a handful of signs to be aware of. If you are experiencing any of these, you should definitely consider having a licensed electrician come out to inspect your home and assess the situation.
1) Circuit breakers tripping often - if this happens, it likely means you have too many appliances plugged in to the same breaker, causing it to overload & trip. But, it also could mean there are more serious issues, & possibly time to call a professional.
2) Electrical sparks coming from your outlets - this one is obvious and one to address immediately. If you see sparks, hear any fizzing sounds or burning smell means that your electrical wiring is likely short circuiting and could cause a fire. Turn off the circuit powering that outlet and call an electrician immediately.
3) Flickering lights - this is a likely sign that your circuits are overloaded or could be that certain wires are loose and not grounding properly.
There are many other things to keep a look out for. Just be sure to be safe and contact a professional when necessary!