Winters are only a few months away and we need to start preparing ourselves for those cold winter breezes and nighttime chills. There was a time when the only way to get warm was by throwing on twenty layers of clothing and staying cooped up in the quilt all day. It might still be the ultimate warming strategy for some people now too but with the development of electric blankets, cold nights aren’t that cold anymore and you can save yourself from putting on so many layers of clothing.
But the question is…are these blankets even safe?
Since electric blankets work on electricity, there’s always a question of a fire or an electric shock hazard associated with these electrical blankets. But are they really safe? Well, the answer is both yes and no depending upon how you choose to use them.
Using Electric Blankets the Right Way
The first and foremost thing you need to do before your bring the electric blanket to bed is check all of the instruction that come with the box. Electric blankets have a bunch of crisscrossing wires inside of them so knowing how to lay your blanket or how to hang it when it’s not in use is essential.
Another important thing to inspect is the wiring or the cords of the blanket. Any visible damage is a red flag and needs to be addressed immediately. Old blankets, especially, should be carefully monitored. If in case you experience a fault you could have it repaired but if it’s permanently damaged then it’s best to discard it to prevent any hazard.
Using Electric Blankets the Wrong Way
Continued use of an electric blanket despite its visible faults in functioning is a bad idea. Similarly, using an electric blanket on pregnant women can be risky. The blanket could heat up the body more than it should and could harm the developing fetus. Patients of impaired endocrine system diseases such as diabetes and hyperthyroidism should also be careful when using these electric blankets.
Staying on the safe side is probably the wisest choice. Heating your blanket with hot water bottles or heating up the room with an electric heater are probably safer options than using an electric blanket.
Need a licensed electrician in the Albany area? Give McCauley Electrical a shout today!