It is extremely common, here in the Capital Region, to experience electrical wiring damage due to unwanted rodents that find their way into your home or place of business. We have seen major damage due to chewing of a home’s wiring insulation that has the potential to not only damage your electrical system but also put your family in danger of not adequately addressed.
Often, rodents get in the house through small cracks or hidden spots in the foundation or walls. They tend to settle in and build nests around wiring, which can lead to excessive overheating. The damage they cause can lead to minor electrical problems that might include an electrical outage, short circuiting or tripped circuit breakers. Exposed wires run the risk of catching on fire, especially if rodents have built nests around them, making it increasingly susceptible to fire due to being hit by an electrical arc.
It is important to check your attic, basements or crawlspaces for signs of rodents getting into your home. If you find nests, skeletons, droppings or displaced insulation, that chances are likely high rodents have managed to infiltrate your home. Walk your property and check the foundation, looking for small cracks or gaps, typically easy places for rodents to enter. Use spray foam or other materials to seal up any gaps you might find.
It is harder to find chewed electrical wiring susceptible to fire as wires will always be in the walls, floors or ceiling. It is always recommended to consult with or hire a licensed electrician in the area to properly test and diagnose areas that might be compromised.
Electrical systems are not to be left unchecked, especially if you see signs of rodent activity. Be sure to contact a qualified, licensed electrician in Albany to assist you with all of your electrical needs.
A short video explaining why rodents might chew wires, to reinforce what we talked about...