Water is very important in our day-to-day activities and it’s the substance that keeps us alive. In fact, it occupies 70% of the planet and is obviously an extremely important part of our lives. But when it comes in contact with electricity, it can be very dangerous and can lead to fatalities or cause serious injuries. Therefore, it’s recommended to be very careful when you notice that the electrical wiring of your home is exposed to water.
Below are some precautionary measures you must take to remain safe until you can get the electrical wiring fixed by a licensed electrician.
Always wear insulated shoes
If you noticed your home wiring is exposed to water, it’s recommended to wear insulated shoes or boots; meaning the soles are made of rubber and will not allow electricity to be conducted through them. If you are the rare victim of flooding in and around your home, you should never walk around barefooted. Be sure to contact a professional immediately to ensure you remain safe from all forms of electrical hazards.
Never try turning on your appliances
After flooding or exposure to a significant amount of water, we advise you to stay calm and be patient until the professional electrician tells you it’s safe to use. Never switch on any appliances as they can lead to electric shocks and other electrical hazards.
Make all necessary replacements
Since water (especially salt water) is known to destroy electrical appliances, wiring devices like the circuit breaker, arc fault circuit interrupter, fire alarm system, security system and other devices exposed to water should be replaced as soon as possible to prevent further damage or fire. We advise contacting a professional immediately to minimize any potential downtime or risk of injury.
Contact professional electrician to evaluate the damages caused
Only a licensed electrician can identify problems caused and the necessary things to do to prevent further damages. We recommend doing your due diligence and find a professional in Albany that you can confidently trust.