According to the United States Fire Association (USFA), it was referenced that around 30% of electrical fires in residential homes are caused by poor maintenance and misuse of appliances, warm outlets that may be caused by overloaded circuits and damaged home wiring. It’s important to be very careful of how we handle and maintain electrical equipment and appliances.
Is your home electrical outlet warm? Know the reasons they are warm and how dangerous they can be.
The Outlet may be in use
One of the reasons why your home electrical outlet (either switches or sockets) may be warm is that it may currently be in use. If you noticed the change in temperature, you can simply remove the electrical connector from the outlet and wait for some minutes (even hours). If it doesn’t cool down, you’re advised to investigate further by reporting the issue to a licensed electrician.
The home wiring may be damaged
Another cause of a warm electrical outlet is if the electrical wiring itself is damaged. There may be an increase in the temperature of electrical terminals or wiring inside a socket or switch if the flow of electricity has been altered. If you discover that damaged wiring causes the outlet warming, you’re advised to get it fixed as soon as possible to prevent further problems. If you are not comfortable working on electrical wiring or sockets, please contact a professional electrician in Albany to lend assistance.
When the fuse or circuit breaker cannot withstand the load
This kind of problem is often found in older houses whose electrical wiring has not been upgraded. Since the older electrical system was designed and installed in a time when there were not any high-tech appliances or electrical components, it might be the appropriate time to consider upgrading your home's electrical panel and wiring throughout. Simply, the old wiring and panel just cannot handle, safely, the electrical requirements of the new equipment.
The demand at the outlet may be much
This is another reason that may lead to a warm outlet. When the demand at the outlet has exceeded the standard set capabilities. According to NEC 210-23 15 and 20 Amp branch circuit, it was stated: “devices plug in an outlet shouldn’t be up to 80% of the rated circuit.” If you noticed the device plugged into the outlet demands more power than the circuit rating, you’re advised to remove it as soon as possible.
Questions about any electrical needs, please contact a licensed electrician.